After School Program
Aki Kurose Community Learning Center (CLC) After School Program
At Aki Kurose Middle School, we feel that participation in student-oriented activities is a vital part of a student’s education.
Aki’s programs are offered free to all students of Aki Kurose Middle School. The school staff, Seattle Parks & Recreation Department and various community-based organizations provide these activities.
2022-23 Program Dates:
Intramural Program: February 6th – May 11th
- Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:45 – 5:15pm
- Session 1: Basketball (4-5 week session)
- Session 2: Flag football, volleyball, ultimate frisbee, dodgeball, or a combination of
- Session 3: Flag football, volleyball, ultimate frisbee, dodgeball, or a combination of
Semester 2: March through May (dates TBD)
Here is some general information for your planning purposes.
- All students must submit a registration form to participate
- Registration forms will be available online, handed out to students in hard-copy form, sent to parents/guardians via Talking Points texting app, and always be stocked in the Main Office
- Space will be limited in some programs
- All Programs are Free
- Programs run Monday – Thursday
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday will run 3:50-5 p.m.
- Wednesday will run 2:30-4 p.m.
- Daily snacks are provided
- Students “ARE” allowed to participate in both Aki sports teams and other after school programs. All students are eligible to ride the after-school bus if they reside in our service area.
- Transportation is available daily – after school buses depart at 5:10pm on Mon/Tues/Thurs, and 4:10pm on Wednesdays
For more information, please contact Mr. Browne at firstname.lastname@example.org
Cooking: Program will provide students a hands-on experience of cooking basics. Each day students will explore recipes and learn how to prep various foods. Students will be able to eat their food during each class.
Gamers Club: Enjoy PS3, XBOX 360 and Nintendo Wii..? Come play in some cool tournaments and explore the world of gaming.
Art Together: Come explore clay, tie dye, painting and more with the Aki Art Club on Mondays after school! We will create clay pots and tiles, tie dye clothes, paint on canvas and much more. Ms. Wayment, the Aki art teacher, will be leading this club. All are welcome!
Get R.E.A.L. – Learn about healthy relationships and life skills through fun activities and games. Come join us in our space where we can learn, chat, and grow together
Get Active: Calling all students that enjoy being active. This program will include various fun gym games, core strengthening, yoga, resistance band training, and many other fun activities to keep you fit and moving
Behind the Lens: Learn how to film, direct, and edit your own movies….!
Kindness Alliance: To engage young people in creating a more vibrant and accepting environment for all students inclusive of race, color, appearance, gender, gender expression, and/or romantic orientation…. This is intended to be a safe space for all.
Beads & Bracelets: This fun club will allow space for students to design and make various bead and bracelets pieces of art. Students will have a nice quiet space to socialize, be encouraged to be creative, learn from their peers, and have fun making their own great creations… All supplies are provided
Journalism: Help us turn up the volume on student voice at Aki by starting a school newspaper! We will seek truth and report it! The skills you learn in Journalism can lead to exciting careers in reporting for a newspaper, magazine or news website, editorial (opinion) writing, feature writing, sports writing, photography, broadcasting, graphic design, illustration and more!
Spin Girls Club: SPIN Girls Club is an after-school program for 6th & 7th grade girls of color to explore their interests in STEM+Art. Students will gain base knowledge on space survival, and immerge into metaverse creations by examining innovative applications of VR.
MBK/MSK/HU: These 3 programs are designed to create a safe and interactive space for students to explore culture, discuss various topics, and be assigned a mentor that will help students set goals, check-in, and be an additional positive support for students.
Extended Day ELA/Math – Extended Day is designed to help provide students that need additional support in math and language arts a designated class time and space for additional instruction practice. Classes are taught by wonderful Aki Teachers…!
Ultimate Frisbee: This is an official SPS sport. Tryouts and specific game schedules TBD. See Athletic Director Mr. Nelson for details
Girls Soccer: This is an official SPS sport. Tryouts and specific game schedules TBD. See Athletic Director Mr. Nelson for details