Wellness Center News
Posted: | Updated:
June 2022 Wellness Center Newsletter
Students can be seen at the Wellness Center by Ms. Shoshana, our Nurse Practitioner, or Ms. Vero, our Mental Health Counselor. To schedule an appointment, call 206-326-2141.
Wellness Center Staff:
- Shoshana Mirel – Nurse Practitioner
- Vero Sage van Leuven – Mental Health Counselor
- Lisa McDonald – Program Coordinator
- Marcelene Dorian-Richardson – Health Educator
Stay Safe This Summer
Avoid these five-common summer-related accidents and illnesses.
- Sunburn – Use a sunscreen with an SPF of 30+ and reapply every two hours
- Dehydration – Drink plenty of water and avoid sugary drinks
- Burns – Use caution when dealing with open flames such as campfires
- Outdoor Injuries – Wear appropriate safety gear during activities such as biking, skateboarding and water activities
- Food Poisoning – Don’t eat food out of refrigeration for more than one hour when the temperature is above 90 degrees
Mindfulness Activity – Mindful Eating
If you are up for the challenge, try mindful eating during a snack or meal. This takes practice. Mindful eating can help you slow down and use all your senses to enjoy the flavors of the foods. Try these steps to practice mindful eating:
- Bring the food to your nose and take a big whiff. When you smell the food, do you experience any emotions? Do you enjoy the smell?
- If may feel silly but bring the food/beverage to your ear. What does it sound like? This can be fun for carbonated beverages. Or listen to the sound of the crunch when you bite into certain foods (e.g., potato chips, carrots, apples).
- Notice how your mouth salivates as you bring food to your mouth. Savor the texture on your tongue. Is it squishy, crunchy, chewy?
- Before you swallow, chew a few more times, sip your beverage between bites, and repeat.
COVID-19 vaccines are effective at protecting people from getting seriously ill, being hospitalized, and even dying—especially people who are boosted. As with other diseases, you are protected best from COVID-19 when you stay up to date with recommended vaccines. CDC recommends you get a COVID-19 vaccine or booster as soon as you are eligible.
Place your order for Free At-Home COVID-19 Tests: Every home in the U.S. is eligible to order a 3rd round of free COVID-19 tests. Order more COVID-19 tests today.
The Aki Kurose Wellness Center has COVID vaccines for all students ages 12 and up. To schedule an appointment, please call 206-326-2141.
Kindness Alliance Meetings
- A social justice group
- Meets after school every Wednesday
- Groups led by Ms. Vero and Ms. Shoshanna