School Bulletin June 10
Posted: | Updated:
Hello, Aki family. Thank you for taking a moment to review updates in our Community Bulletin.
- June 3, 9, 15 Special Education Community Forums, see announcement below
- June 13-15 Field Days, In school, student and staff only, see announcement below
- June 15 Laptop & Charger Turn In, Morning ELA Classes, see announcement
- June 17 8th Grade Promotion, In school, student and staff only, see announcement below
- June 17 Last Day of School, one-hour early dismissal at 2:45 p.m.
- July 9 Final grade reports available via The Source
Student Laptop & Charger Turn In
All students will be required to turn in their SPS laptops and chargers through their morning ELA class on Wednesday, June 15. In order to avoid fines, work with your student to ensure they have their laptop and charger with them when they head to school. If your student is participating in Aki summer programming, they will receive a device when starting that program.
8th Grade Promotion
Aki will recognize our 8th grade students’ promotion to high school during school hours with a variety of activities on campus for our students and staff only. We have not held an evening event in several years prior to covid. Last school year we did do a drive through promotion recognition due to our remote school setting, but we are returning to our regularly scheduled school hours for students and staff only celebrations this school year. This is in line with our fellow SPS SE Seattle middle schools.
We are not able to accept balloons or other celebratory items for students on this day, so please keep those for after school hours as you celebrate with your family off campus. We are so proud of our 8th grade students and can’t wait to see all they accomplish as they move on to high school and beyond!
Field Days are being planned by grade level for the last week of school, during school hours for students and staff only. Information will be shared with students through advisory classes.
8th Grade Families – SPS High School Course Interest Survey
Families and Students, your request for diverse class choices in Seattle will be realized in September 2022. Thank you for sharing your voice in the past for expanding our content. Below is a link for High School Students and current 8th graders to signal what courses they would be interested in for our new virtual period. Student interest for each course will help us with planning this summer for resourcing these classes in 2022-2023. Your interest in the survey does not guarantee course enrolment while we are in this planning stage.
- Districtwide Virtual Course Interest Survey
- በዲስትሪክቱ በሚሰጡ የርቀት ትምህርት ኮርሶች የፍላጎት የዳሰሳ ጥናት Amharic Interest Survey
- 全校区的网上课程兴趣调查表 Chinese Interest Survey
- Sahanka Xiisaha Koorsada Onlineka ah ee Degmada oo dhan Somali Interest Survey
- Encuesta de interés del curso virtual en todo el distrito Spanish Interest Survey
- Khảo sát Sự Quan Tâm cho Khóa Học Trực Tuyến Toàn Học Khu Vietnamese Interest Survey
Special Education Community Forums
The special education department is hosting forums for BIPOC and Bilingual families of students receiving special education services. Please share the following information with families and ask that they join the sessions to share their experiences at SPS. Language supports are available.
Listening to the Experiences of our Families
BIPOC, Bilingual, and Special Education Community Forums
Please Join us to share your experiences with returning to in-person learning. All sessions will be facilitated, and language supports will be available.
- Latinx community forum Friday, June 3, 6:30-8 p.m.
- Asian community forum Thursday, June 9, 7:30-9 p.m.
- Black community forum Wednesday, June 15, 6:30-8 p.m.
Special Education Department 206-252-0058 email@example.com
Return Library Books
Library Books that are overdue need to be returned! Please look around & check The Source for items still out.
In the last few weeks of school, we are in the process of collaborating with a few community organizations to provide additional safety support for our students during lunchtime outside and after school as students make their way off campus. Community Passageways and Urban Family Center both have deep roots in the SE community and partner with Rainier Beach and Franklin High Schools.
Please talk with your children about being aware of their surroundings, following safety signals, keeping their valuables out of sight, walking with trusted friends and family members, and alerting nearby community members if they have concerns. Please reach out to us at school if you have any questions.
SPS Culinary Services Feedback & Requests
Our student ASB Advisory representatives have met with the head of our Aki culinary services to ask questions, share concerns and gather ideas for how to improve breakfast and lunch service for our students.
If you have feedback and suggestions, please reach out to the director of SPS Culinary services, Aaron Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org
The final playoff games for the season are this weekend Saturday, June 11!
- Aki Varsity Soccer 11 a.m. vs Mercer @ Jane Adams
- Aki Varsity Volleyball 8 a.m. vs Denny @ Sealth
Stay up-to-date on Aki Kurose Athletics by reviewing the following resources:
- Stay Home When Sick: It is important if students have COVID symptoms, they stay home and test immediately. If you have symptoms, and test negative, stay home and test again in 24-28 hours. Self-tests are more accurate when you test twice if you get a negative result. Keep a supply of home tests on hand. Use this link to get free home test kits from the State of Washington. Testing is also available at your student’s school.
- High School Assignment for 8th Graders – School assignments and waitlist status were released and sent out to families and are available on the Source. You can look up their assignment using the High School Assignment lookup tool.
- Reference High School Registration for further information.
- Naramore Virtual Art Show – We wanted to share how proud we are to see 10 Aki students’ art pieces on display for the Naramore Virtual Art Show. The show ends June 30.
- COVID-19 Updates – Please view the COVID FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) page on the Aki Website for answers to your questions.
Contact Aki Kurose
Please reach out to us with any questions using the following contact information:
Aki Kurose main office
Amharic & Oromo
Please check our Resources page for information about food, household items and financial assistance.