Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Posted: | Updated:
Aki Kurose FAQs
What time does school start?
School hours are 8:55-3:45 PM, please arrive between 8:30-8:50 AM.
Starting Wednesday, September 7th, Wednesdays will have an early release at 2:30 PM for district wide staff professional development.
The school bell schedule can be found here: https://kurosems.seattleschools.org/about/bell-schedule/
Arrival and Pick Up Information
Arrival – Students will be entering the building through grade-level specific entry points, there will be staff outside during the first week to point students in the right direction. If you are dropping your student off, please do so on the corner of 42nd and Graham, directional arrows and staff will be outside to help with the flow of traffic.
When picking our students up, please also pick them up on 42nd and Graham.
Is the School Bus late?
You can check for late bus information on the district site, located here:
Hallway and physical distancing
Students will distance 6 feet or to the extent possible in the hallways and students will follow directional arrows while in building to maximize social distancing.
Can I register my child at Aki?
All registration can be done online on the district website or at the John Stanford building
What supplies does my child need?
Backpack and supplies were provided for all students during the Open House Meet and Greets for each grade level.
- 6th Grade Families: Monday, August 23rd from 3:30-5:30 PM
- 7th Grade Families: Tuesday, August 24th from 3:30-5:30 PM
- 8th Grade Families: Thursday, August 26th from 3:30-5:30 PM
Basic supplies: pencils & pens, pencil pouch, eraser, highlighter, notebooks/lined paper, folders, binder, backpack/bag.
Optional additions: basic calculators, colored pencils, ruler, pencil sharpener
When does my child receive their schedule?
Student schedules will be available for viewing on The Source on August 31st. They can visit our Registrar, Ms. Ladd to print a copy of their schedule.
What is the cell phone policy?
Student Expectations: Cell phones are powered OFF and out of sight between the hours of 8:45 and 3:45 at Aki Kurose.
Start of School Forms
Please see this news post to for all required Start of School Forms. https://kurosems.seattleschools.org/news/family-communication-start-of-school-forms/
Laptop Device Fee
To pay your laptop fee:
- You can log into The Source,
- Access SchoolPay,
- Then you will see the Student Device fee for each SPS student there.
Students are generally assigned to get to school in one of three ways — and their eligibility for Orca cards differs based on how they are assigned to get to school:
1. Walk (if live within 1 miles from Aki Kurose) — students in the walk zone and who meet income requirements can apply for an Orca card from the City of Seattle. Learn more here about the income requirements and application process: https://www.seattle.gov/transportation/projects-and-programs/programs/transportation-access-programs/orca-opportunity/youth.
2. Take the Metro Bus — Students assigned to take the metro bus are automatically eligible for Orca cards, but must sign a conditions of use form and turn that in at school. The form is here (https://www.seattleschools.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/ORCA-COU.pdf) or likely available at school. The school should have their cards already and is actively giving them out this week.
3. Take the Yellow School Bus — Info from the City of Seattle (see link in #1) says that if you live more than 2 miles away from school, you can apply for an Orca card through the King County Youth Program, which is here: https://kingcounty.gov/depts/transportation/metro/fares-orca/orca-cards/youth.aspx. We don’t have many details on this.
SPS Orca card details and eligibility information is here: https://www.seattleschools.org/departments/transportation/orca-card-information/