Families make a huge difference in the education of their children. At Aki Kurose Middle School parents can have a positive and very direct effect on the entire educational environment. Aki parents are committed and involved. They work hand-in-hand with administrators, teachers, and student leaders to create programs, support curriculum and provide unique educational opportunities for all of our students. PTSA also works to build community and develop partnerships between our students' families and the school.
Thank you to everyone who has expressed interest in volunteering at Aki Kurose. There are many opportunities to volunteer at Aki, from involvement with PTSA or FEAT, to helping out in a classroom, the front office, or on field trips.
The Seattle School District requires all volunteers to complete a few steps before they start volunteering. You can get help with all of these steps at Aki Kurose, either during a volunteer orientation or by making an appointment.
- Complete the Seattle School district volunteer application (required every year)
- Pass a criminal background check, which requires filling out a criminal background check (WATCH screening) form, AND providing a photocopy of your ID (we can make a copy in the office). Please allow two days for this to be processed before you'll begin volunteering. (required every year);
- Read the Seattle School district volunteer handbook, and return signed pages p. 18-19 of the handbook (required every year);
- Complete a brief online course on Adult Sexual Misconduct (ASM) Prevention online. You can do this at home, and then print the confirmation to provide proof that you’ve completed the online training, or you can make an appointment to come to Aki and use a computer here. (required once only, not every year)
- Read SPS Volunteer Policy No. 5630
Please find forms at the volunteer website: http://www.seattleschools.org/families_communities/volunteer and the online ASM training course: http://www.seattleschools.org/families_communities/volunteer/online_course__asmv/
Please return your completed forms and a copy of your picture ID to the front office at Aki. Your application will be processed as soon as possible.
Whenever you come to school to volunteer, please stop by the front office, sign in at the front counter, and pick up a visitor sticker to wear while you're at school.
Volunteer orientation sessions
- Brief orientation to volunteering at Aki,
- Complete volunteer interest and background check forms,
- Complete the online ASM video training (25 minutes – you can do this in advance, but please provide your certificate to us; it must be completed before you start volunteering at Aki)
- An optional school tour.
- By appointment; please contact Tania Westby, email@example.com or 206-252-7753.
- Attendance at an orientation is not required in order to volunteer, but is an easy way to get all requirements done and get questions answered.
PTSA is a family-run non-profit organization that supports the school. Everyone is welcome! Please join us in supporting Aki Students. PTSA works to build community and develop partnerships between our students' families and the school.
Goals of PTSA:
- Support students’ academic success,
- Show students we believe in them,
- Public relations: change the conversation about our school and our kids!
- Have real conversations about race and racism,
- Teacher appreciation,
Next PTSA Meeting: Tuesday, October 22, 2015, 6:00 p.m. in the Aki library
Accomplishments in 2013-14:
- Supported staff and parents in visiting the “RACE: Are we so Different?” exhibit and participating in school-based workshops, by helping cover the cost of tickets to the Pacific Science Center, Coordinated a Read-a-thon fundraiser,
- Helped to raise $4,400 to send Theater Arts students to see the Lion King at the Paramount Theater,
- Showed the Aki staff our appreciation during staff appreciation week through hosting a coffee cart on Monday, and a staff luncheon with food prepared by parents on Wednesday,
- Sponsored end-of-year celebrations for each grade level.
Aki Kurose PTSA is a member of the State and National PTA organization. Visit www.PTA.org to find great opportunities and fantastic discounts for PTA members. Join at the national level as well and receive even more benefits.
Aki's PTA membership ID# is 01600635
FEAT (Family Engagement Action Team)
Aki’s Family Engagement Action Team meets regularly to generate ideas to connect family events to academic learning and to evaluate our family engagement efforts. To get involved with FEAT please email Tania Westby, Coordinator of School Family Partnerships, at firstname.lastname@example.org.